Monday, August 22, 2011

Lamb Chops


"He had never seen so many things he liked to eat on one table: roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops and lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, fries, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, gravy, ketchup, and, for some strange reason, peppermint humbugs" (Sorcerer's Stone 123).



Lamb is one of those foods that is served completely differently depending on your chosen country and culture. One assumes that at Hogwarts, it would be served with mint jelly, the traditional British garnish for lamb. However I'm not sure if that applies with lamb chops, or just with roast lamb... Regardless, I am not British. I have never had lamb with mint jelly. I am Greek. Lamb in my house was usually cooked as souvlaki, which is kind of like shish kabobs with a red sauce. But as a vegetarian... I don't eat lamb at all. 

The recipe I found for vegetarian "lamb chops" is from Vegan Appetite, and it is delicious.

You Will Need:
2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
1/4 cup white wheat flour (I didn't have wheat flour, so I just used an extra 1/4 cup white flour)
1/8 cup white flour
1/8 cup soy flour
1/4 cup minute tapioca (I used tapioca starch)
1 Tbsp Bryanna's Chicken Powder (I didn't use this officially; I just added a dash of most of the ingredients (check the site for list)... I didn't have any beet sugar or soymilk powder though)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp fried parsley
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp Better Than Boullion Vegetable paste
1 1/2 cup cold water
1/2 Tbs tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp Kitchen bouquet (this is a browning/seasoning sauce, and I couldn't find it anywhere, so I skipped it. Consequently my lamb is a little pale.)

For the broth, You Will Need:
8 cups water
2 Tbs Tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (which I found out is sometimes called "nooch")
1 onion, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 Tbs Bryanna's Chicken powder (again, I just added a dash of each ingredient)
1 boulion cube (or the equivalent of Better Than Boullion Paste)
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp sugar

1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (up to and including the garlic).


2. In another small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients (the wet ones).


3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mix together, and knead a few minutes. Form the dough into two loaves.


4. Combine all the broth ingredients in a medium-large pot.


5. Place the two seitan loaves into the cold broth, and bring to a simmer, and cook for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.


6. Let the loaves and broth cool. Remove a loaf and cut into 1/2" slices. Pan-fry the "lamb chops" in an (olive) oiled skillet, seasoned with pepper and a little salt, until lightly browned.


I plated my "lamb chop" with some of the onions from the broth, but you can use whatever garnish you choose: mint jelly, harissa sauce, greek yohgurt, whatever you fancy!


These "lamb chops" are super tasty, but my carnivore father assures me that they do not taste even remotely like lamb. He suggests using a No-Beef Boullion instead of vegetable flavored, and using more sugar instead of salt. Oh well, it's still yummy! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment