"Then it was time for a last mug of hot chocolate and bed" (Chamber of Secrets 65).
The best hot chocolate I've ever had was in Edinborough, Scotland, at a cafe called Pleasir du Chocolat. That was seven years ago. And I still think about it.
It was some seriously amazing hot chocolate, okay?
Let's hope that Dinah Bucholz' recipe comes close!
You Will Need:
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp instant coffee (or not...)
2 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
2 cups milk (the higher the fat content, the creamier the hot cocoa)
1/2 tsp vanilla
whipped cream for serving
cocoa powder for serving
1. Combine the water, sugar, cocoa powder, and coffee (if using) in a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until hot and bubbling.
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chopped chocolate until smooth.
3. Return to the heat and add the milk, cooking and stirring until heated through (do not boil).
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
5. Pour into teacups and top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of cocoa powder.
This hot chocolate is really delicious. It doesn't beat the hot chocolate I had in Scotland, but it's certainly better than microwaved milk with chocolate syrup! Enjoy!