Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Milk




"Harry and Ron sat down at the Gryffindor table next to Hermione, who had her copy of Voyages with Vampires propped open against a milk jug" (Chamber of Secrets 86).





In my attempt to find something to make for which the main ingredient is milk (aside from telling you to pour yourself a nice tall glass), I have found Milk Jellies. I have a feeling they will be something like flan... which I've never had... but we'll see!

You Will Need:
4 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 glass skim milk (I'm going to assume that means 8oz, let's hope I'm right!)
2 tsp sweetener
4 drops vanilla extract

1. Bring the milk to a boil and add the sweetener.
2. While boiling, pour 150mL of boiling water over the gelatin and stir well.
3. Remove the milk from the heat and add the gelatin mix. Stir well.
4. Stir in the vanilla.
5. Pour the mixture into containers. Washed out yogurt cups work well, silicone ice trays are also a good bet. Unfortunately, I didn't have any individual-size containers around, so I just used the smallest mixing bowl I had.


6. Place in the fridge for at least two hours to set.
7. Invert onto a serving dish if you'd like, or eat right out of the container :)


As you can see, gravity works :) I didn't realize that I only had half the required amount of gelatin. Surprisingly, it still gelled, but I definitely recommend using enough of each ingredient!

I assumed that Milk Jelly would be kind of gross, or at least have a weird texture (and that's from someone who eats tofu every day!). But honestly, it's basically custard-flavored jell-o. And it's a lot better for you than normal custard! So if you want to try a new and pretty healthy treat, make some milk jellies!

No comments:

Post a Comment