"She held up two plump chocolate cakes. 'I've filled these with a simple Sleeping Draught'" (Chamber of Secrets 213).
I found an exciting recipe for Flourless Nutella Chocolate Cake that sounds absolutely delicious, so that's what I'll be attempting today.
You Will Need:
200g (almost 1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
100g (almost 1/2 cup) dark chocolate
100g white sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 tsp instant coffee or espresso powder (which I left out)
1. Butter and lightly coat either a 9" springform pan or cupcake pan with cocoa powder. Prheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the pans inside.
2. Place the butter chunks and chunks/chips of dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt together at 30 second intervals (or use a double boiler). Stir until smooth.
3. Add the nutella to the melted chocolate/butter mixture and stir well with a whisk or fork until completely incorporated. Mix in the coffee powder if using.
4. Separate the egg whites and yolks into two separate bowls. Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk for a minute until combined.
5. Add the egg yolks to the chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly.
6. Beat the egg whites until stiff(ish) peaks form.
7. Add the chocolate/yolk mix to the egg whites and mix by hand until completely incorporated.
8. Pour the batter into your prepared (hot) pans(s). Don't fill cupcake tins more than 3/4 full. Place in the oven.
9. Bake for 20-30 minutes (my cupcakes were done at 22). They are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean-- you don't want them completely solid all the way through, but the center shouldn't sway when jiggled.
10. Let cool completely and garnish with hazelnuts if you have any.
Theses are cakes are very tasty, but not very plump like Hermione's sleeping draught cakes were. The flourless aspect seems to make them want to collapse on themselves. So while not very pretty, they will certainly cure any chocolate craving! Enjoy!