Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chicken and Ham Sandwiches

Our next food is one that I definitely balked at when I read it for the first time. But I have been assured by several people, American and British alike, that it is not, in fact, disgusting. Clearly Harry and Ron are big fans:

"A large plate of sandwiches, two silver goblets, and a jug of iced pumpkin juice appeared with a pop... 'Can you believe our luck though?' said Ron thickly through a mouthful of chicken and ham" (Chamber of Secrets 83).

I suppose the sandwiches McGonagall conjured could have been of several different varieties, since the plate kept refilling itself until the boys were stuffed to satisfaction, but only chicken and ham is specified. So there. 

I found a recipe for this delightful-sounding dish on tips-how.com (thank you google searches). Before we begin, it seems to me that if possible, you should use similarly textured forms of "meats." I was unable to do this, since I used chicken-flavored seitan and Light Life's smoked ham lunchmeat. If you ever find a recipe for "ham" seitan or find a supplier of "chicken" lunchmeat, let me know! Moving on.

You Will Need:
Bread
Mustard
Butter
Your favorite chicken substitute, thinly sliced
Your favorite ham substitute, thinly sliced


1. Mix together some mustard and butter/margarine. You'll probably need to significantly soften the butter first.
2. Spread the mustard/butter on two slices of bread.
3. Layer up the "chicken" and "ham" between the two slices of prepared bread. 
4. Eat.

I won't lie to you, I did not actually mix together mustard and butter. And really, the butter is a major component to the British-ness of this sandwich. Brits put butter on most sandwiches (including, in my experience, peanut butter sandwiches). But it turns out that chicken and ham taste fine together. Clearly someone figured that out long before I did, given the relative popularity of chicken cordon bleu. Anyway, if you're looking for a new sandwich for lunch, you might want to give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment