"Of course, his hopes hadn't been high; they'd never given him a real present, let alone a cake-- but to ignore it completely..." (Chamber of Secrets 5).
Since this mention of cake is super vague and non-specific (and is the only time in the entire series when Ms. Rowling doesn't tell us what kind of cake her characters are enjoying!), I get to choose what kind of cake we'll make! So we'll be trying a recipe for Hungarian Flourless Hazelnut Cake I found on allrecipes.com.
You Will Need:
12 oz hazelnuts
2 tsp baking powder
6 egg yolks
5/8 cup granulated sugar
6 egg whites
1 pint heavy cream
1/8 cup chopped hazelnuts for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour (I thought this was flourless?) a 9" springform pan.
3. In a large bowl, whip the egg yolks with the sugar until a pale yellow color. Beat in the hazelnut mixture.
5. Quickly fold 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture, then add the remaining whites and fold in until no white streaks remain.
6. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 60-75 minutes (mine was done after 60), until the cake springs back when lightly tapped.
7. When the baked cake has cooled completely, slice it horizontally into 3 (or just 2) layers.