Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cabbage

Today's food is not actually mentioned with regard to eating, but is one of Hagrid's many excuses:

"'I was lookin' fer a Flesh-Eatin' Sluf Repellent,' growled Hagrid. 'They're ruinin' the school cabbages" (Chamber of Secrets 55).

So today I will share the family recipe for Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage! Of course, I will have to experiment with a way to make them vegetarian, soooo.... here we go!

You Will Need:
a cabbage
your favorite ground beef substitute (I used Morningstar Farms Meal Starter Grounds)
your favorite ground pork substitute (I used seitan)
either 1 cup of cooked brown rice, or 1 pkg of soy Tempeh
1 can of tomato soup
1 medium onion, chopped
salt and pepper

When relaying this recipe to me, my mother forgot to tell me to parboil the cabbage. She realized her error after I was finished and mentioned how difficult it is to roll the raw cabbage leaves. Yeah. Boil your cabbage.

1. Place the cabbage in a pot of water and boil for a few minutes, until slightly tender. Let it cool.
2. Mix together your "meats" with your rice/tempeh.


3. In a large skillet, heat a little vegetable oil and add your onion. Cook until tender.
4. Add your meat mixture to the skillet and mix with the onion. Since it's not really meat, you just have to mix it all together... it doesn't even really need to be super hot at this point either.

5. Carefully peel the cabbage leaves apart and place a scoop of filling in the middle.


6. Fold/roll the cabbage leaf around the filling like a burrito (carefully, but tightly!). If you need to, you can use a toothpick to secure it (just don't forget to take them out again!)


7. Arrange the rolls in a large pot, with the seams facing downward.


8. Mix the tomato soup with about 3 cans worth of water and pour over the cabbage rolls.

9. Place the pot on medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about an hour, until the cabbage is completely tender.
10. Carefully scoop out the rolls, serve, and enjoy!


This turned out really well! It's pretty simple to make, and is super healthy! And my mom says my version tastes the same as the carnivore kind! I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment