"He had never seen so many things he liked to eat on one table: roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops and lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, fries, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, gravy, ketchup, and, for some strange reason, peppermint humbugs" (Sorcerer's Stone 123).
Gravy is traditionally a sauce made out of the drippings of a roasting animal... blech. So I will be adapting the Classic Gravy recipe from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook.
You Will Need:
3 Tbs Vegetable Oil
3 Tbs Flour
2 Cups Vegetable Stock (I used veggie broth, because that's what I had, I just had to simmer it a little longer to get it thick enough.)
salt to taste (I used a Vegetable boullion cube, which I definitely recommend)
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan.
2. Add the flour and stir until combined and it turns brownish.
3. Slowly add the stock, stirring constantly.
4. Add the boullion cube, if using, stir until dissolved.
5. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bubbling.
6. Adjust salt level if necessary.
And there you go! Serve over your favorite meat substitute or mashed potatoes and enjoy!