"Harry and Hermione both laughed, and Hermione began doling beef casserole into each of their plates" (Goblet of Fire 207).
Beef cassrole is of course mentioned again in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Hagrid serves it to our trio... and in it they discover a suspicious talon! Casserole is, in my mind, an amalgam of veggies and protein and usually noodles. The recipe we're making today is from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook, and has no talons. It reminds me more of a stew than a casserole, but it is tasty nonetheless. I'll be tweaking the recipe a bit for the vegetarian factor, so here we go!
You Will Need:
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1.5 pounds vegetarian steak substitute (I used Gardein Beefless Tips)
1 onion, finely chopped (my onions were really teeny, so I used two)
1 celery rib, finely chopped
3 Tbs all-purpose flour
3 cups No-Chicken broth
1 Tbs tomato paste
10 oz mushrooms, sliced (I only used 8oz)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil in a large oven-safe skillet on the stovetop.
2. Add the onion and celery. Cook over medium heat until the onion turns brown, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, 10-15 minutes.
5. Add the tomato paste, mushrooms, beefless tips, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat.
6. Cover the skillet and transfer it to the oven. Bake the casserole for two hours. Stir at least every 30 minutes so the bottom doesn't burn.
7. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta.
Even though this doesn't meet my personal qualifications as a "casserole" (definitely more of a stew, I think), it's still quite delicious, and an excellent protein source. It's also a super easy meal you can prep, go live your life for two hours, come back and it's ready to eat! Enjoy!