Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Red Currant Rum

Somehow it does not surprise me that our moody, green pinstripe-wearing Minister of Magic is not a teetotaler:

"'So you'll be the red currant rum, Minister'" (Prisoner of Azkaban 202).

If you would like to make some currant-infused rum, I definitely recommend it. There's an excellent recipe at La Petite Gourmande. That recipe, however, takes several months to make. So today we'll make a quick and dirty version!

You Will Need:
Rum
Red currants (everyone promises me that red currants are just smaller versions of raisins, so that's what I'll use)


1. Pour the amount of rum you require into an appropriately-sized receptacle.
2. Drop in your currants/raisins. I used a small handful (maybe 6 or 7?) for 1 shot.


3. Let the rum and currants "steep" for several hours. The longer it sits, the more currant-y the flavor will be. 


4. Your currants/raisins will probably have soaked up a lot of the rum and look rather swollen. Use a spoon (or whatever) to press out the excess rum and remove the fruits. 
5. Pour your rum into a shot glass if you'll be enjoying it neat, or add it to your favorite cocktail (which is what I would recommend, because let's be honest, this is still just straight rum with a drop of grape juice in it!). 
6. Enjoy!

It's true, we did successfully infuse rum with raisins. But I really do recommend making some the old fashioned way, like in the recipe recommended above, because I bet it's delicious! Bottom's up!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Your blog is wonderful!
    I must say that currants ar NOT raisins! Rainsins are dried grapes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapes
    And here are currants:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant
    Here in Poland lot of people use currants for making juice, you can buy blackcurrant juice in every shop.
    I would suggest to mix currant juice with rum (just a bit, the juice has very dark red colour and has intense taste) - it may be as tasty as well as Your version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona!
      I'm glad you like the blog! And I completely agree with you on the currants versus raisins issue. Unfortunately, it's strangely difficult to find currants in stores in America, and a lot of people use raisins as a substitute, even though they taste super different.
      Thanks for reading!
      Nikki

      Delete