"They ate stale cornflakes and cold tinned tomatoes on toast for breakfast the next day"
(Sorcerer's Stone 42).
Sooo... stale cornflakes.
Basically, if you're going for accuracy... open a box of Cornflakes... and eat it several days later.
Since that's pretty much crazy, I decided to look for recipes with Cornflakes as the main ingredient. What could Harry and the Dursleys have enjoyed if only they had a few more ingredients? I'll tell you.
I have never really been a fan of Rice Krispies Treats (marshmallows are not my thing... there was an incident with too many S'mores as a child). But these are SO amazing, and really quite similar!
You Will Need:
1 cup Corn Syrup
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Peanut Butter (I used extra crunchy, but it doesn't matter)
6 cups Cornflakes
1. Mix the corn syrup and sugar in a saucepan. Heat and stir until combined and slightly more liquid-y.
2. Stir in peanut butter until smooth.
3. Add the cornflakes and stir until all mixed (a rubber spatula works well).
4. Press into a baking dish and let cool (or not, but they'll be really sticky and crumbly while still warm).
5. Cut into squares and enjoy! And relish in the fact that you are not being driven all over Britain by your crazy uncle with only cornflakes as nourishment!